Thursday, May 7, 2015

Final Project: My Boston Tea Party Ship

For this assignment I built a boat in Minecraft modeled off of the Boston Tea Party. I started at the edge of the land and made a strip into the water out of spruce wood. I decided to use spruce wood for most of my boat because it felt most realistic. Making the bottom curved part of the boat was challenging without round objects but I think I made it work pretty well. 







 After adding layer upon layer of spruce wood blocks I then added in a floor that would be the base for the lower deck. I also wanted to add a little more style to the boat so I used stone blocks to create the next layers for the sides of the boat. 



I decided to add a bow type thing sticking off the end because that's what they had in the pictures. I made it out of Iron blocks at first but did not like the way this looked. I then changed the bow of the ship to stone which matched the new layer of the side of the boat. I also added in windows for some natural light to flow through to the lower deck. 



Next I used the fence as the mast of the ship. I built two of them. I added the white iron to the mast to make it look more like sails.



I added more layering to the walls of the second floor. I also added chests for storage and torches because once the ceiling was placed despite the windows there would be less natural light on the lower deck. 






Next I built the upper deck! I used the spruce wood for the floor and the stone for the sides. I added many chests. I also added a hole for the masts to go through from the second level. 



 Below is a photo of the lower deck once the roof is on. It's much darker than before but I think the windows and torches work pretty well. 


I removed a few blocks in the middle of the upper deck so you can get to the lower deck. I put ladders on each side of the cut out and it's easily accessible. 


 This is the finished product: 






This is me building a boat modeled after a Boston Tea Party ship in Minecraft. It is a final exercise from the Immersive Education course that I am taking at Boston College. The course is called Discovering Computer Graphics. For details, visit the immersive BC portal at http://ImmersiveEducation.org/@/bc.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prices are reasonable, food is delicious, and wait staff is sweet, conscientious, and adorable. I came here for an event, got contained to upstairs. Service at event space Chicago was prompt and food was awesome.

    ReplyDelete