Thursday, March 5, 2015

Class 6, Assignment 9

This article talks a lot about psychological factors. I agree that who a person becomes is based off both their experiences as well as the nature of who he or she is as a person. Nature and Nurture are both constant attributions in which we form our personality. People often portray themselves to strangers as the people he/she wants to be rather than the actual person he/she is. 
I personally disagree with most of the article. The psychological background of a person is accurate (at least from what I have learned in my psychology classes) however I do not think 3D Virtual worlds will every contribute that much to day to day society. I think it is important that people are true to who he/she actually is rather than using an avatar to talk themselves up or be someone else. I also do not think virtual world are going to be that integrated into society in the manor that is "the distributed self". People who play video games often play for the goal of each level in the game/beating it. At least with the 3D virtual world we have been in, there has not been too much going on and it can get boring very quickly. People who are confident in social situations and can speak face to face will most likely not partake in these sites in my opinion. I think that people who have social disorders may be a prime target for "the distributed self" however I do not think it will be a common trend in day to day life.  








No comments:

Post a Comment